Sunday, August 27, 2006

Babson begins

I have arrived. A long flight, a stopover in Heathrow, and a two-hour wait at Immigration made it a little tough, but then I was warmly welcomed by Stew and Toshi the cat at their Boston home and spent the night on a comfortable futon bed.
On Saturday morning, my two big heavy suitcases and I embarked on yet another Odyssey to Babson College, which took me two hours instead of 45 minutes. I am now a proud resident of Putney Hall (or Putney "Hole" as I like to call it), a slightly run-down and dark dorm, but nevertheless a fun place to be. Wonderful Jen gave us a ride to the Mall today and counceled us through the seemingly endless variety of products (how on earth are you supposed to make a quick decision about laundry detergent when you've got 30 different types??), and now all I am missing is a warm blanket to get me through the surprisingly cold autumn nights.

I'm stuffed with bagels, burgers and brownies, I was called "honey" at least four times today by total strangers, I had sushi at the College President's house last night and watched students parade flags down the aisle of Staake Gymnasium today, accompanied by loud trumpet music. People wear flip flops in any weather, all the cool kids wear Babson apparel, and the size of the cars in the student parking lot exceeds that of any car in the entire country of Austria.
I am truly in America, and I love it.

There is so much more to say, but the jetlag and the prospect of another busy orientation day tomorrow are keeping me from going into detail. I'll be back with more, but for now, I leave you with images of the miraculous transformation of my dorm room.

My dorm room 5 minutes after my arrival

... and a few hours later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chère Magdalena,
Très heureux que tu sois bien arrivée dans ton Collège. Ca va être une super expérience. J'aurais bien aimé, moi aussi, faire quelques études dans un vrai campus...on doit bien s'amuser!! Bon courage pour la suite et à bientôt. Gros bisous, Henri sous la pluie à Paris

Anonymous said...

yeeehaaaaw! E-N-D-L-I-C-H hört man was von dir... ich sitze noch in der Arbeit, schreib dir aber wenn ich nach Hause komm! :-)
Dickes Bussi aus Wien!

Anonymous said...

super, daß wir nun auch im "Bild" sind. hab dir soeben ein langes email geschrieben und denke fest an dich!
Dickes bussi aus kjd!

Amanda Lee Smith said...

you've nailed so many good american quirks (though the flip flop thing extends up to Canada as well). Great rundown of your first days. looking forward to more!

Anonymous said...

You made it!

Congratulations, welcome and good luck!!!

I imagine the next days and weeks will be crazy, but I am sure that you will have a wonderful time.

God bless you