Sunday, September 24, 2006

Cultural pleasures

The play, I remember, pleased not the million; 't was caviare to the general.
Hamlet, 2. 2


Who ever said that Americans have no culture? On Saturday, Julian (Germany), Cameron (Australia), Aaron (Texas) and I decided to take Cameron's friend Kitt up on her invitation to come see "Hamlet" at Wellesley College, where she studies.
Wellesley is an all-girls college, quite prestigious, proudly boasting alumnae like old Hillary and Madeleine Albright. It is 130 years old, with a huge campus, a lake and a beautiful theater hall. Unfortunately we only caught a glimpse of it at night, but I am definitely going back. Since I seem to be hanging out mainly with guys around here, it is time to immerse myself into a world full of wonderful ladies.

Other highlights of the weekend:
Watching my first rugby match - boy, what a violent sport. Thirty men, covered in sweat and mud, tackling each other like there is no tomorrow. Black eyes, dislocated shoulders, and sprained ankles. Julian (Germany) and Cameron (Australia, affectionately referred to by the name of Gramps) did their thing, and I still haven't decided whether I am shocked or intrigued.


A visit to the Mall - while I am not a big fan of giant shopping centers, there are stores I just can't resist. Also, I finally got my running shoes, and went for an inaugural jog this morning.

Dinner in Chinatown - our new friends Reagan (yes, like the president), Brooke, Zach and Preston took a bunch of us exchange students out to Boston Chinatown for some do-it-yourself fondue-style Chinese dinner. We loved it, although some of us had tears streaming down our faces due to extreme soup spiciness.

Carol, Lysiane and Zach enjoying their meals

Pub Night at Rodger's on campus - it's a Thursday night regular, always nice to kick off the weekend with.


Top: Me, Montse and Tere (from Barcelona)
Bottom: Tere, Montse, Francesco (Palermo) and Carol (Barcelona)

Other than that, papers, prep reading and classes don't leave much room for laziness. I haven't watched TV since I came here, and have only read half a book (of my own choice, that is). Those who know me will realize how unusual that is. Still, I am enjoying both the challenges and fun of college life.
I am a bit short on words and imagination tonight.
I will let the photos do the talking.

2 comments:

Maria said...

It's good to see that you are practicing your Spanish ;)

Anonymous said...

Don't let a Wellesley woman let you hear you call it a "...-girls college"! At least my ex-girlfriend and her mates were adamant about not using the word "girl".

Sounds like you are doing well and having fun.

Cheers :)

Troy