Thursday, June 07, 2007

Entertainers or egomaniacs?

This blog has turned into a quite boring series of rarely entertaining personal updates. I've been thinking: What is the reason for writing a personal blog? Why should one expect one's personal life to be interesting to others? And, lastly - how healthy is it to put one's own, relatively unimportant life at the center of a globally accessible website?

I think it was Mother Teresa who once suggested trying to go for a day without talking about oneself. To me, that seems nearly impossible! Also, I am not sure it is necessary. Still, the line between writing for the entertainment of others and falling into the trap of narcissism is thin.
I started this blog for various reasons - as a creative outlet, a space to play with a language that is not my own, an opportunity to express thoughts and describe incidents worth sharing, and a way to keep my internationally dispersed friends and family updated.
It works, but sometimes a weeklong lack of inspiration or material, combined with the desire to keep readers interested, results in a bunch of entries that are not really worth anyone's time.

So there.

Still, there's news.

The Skypad, version 2.0. It's not quite a clone of its original in NYC, maybe more like a second cousin. However, we are surrounded by luxury - a rooftop deck, views on church steeples and green hills, an open, airy living space, nice little rooms and even gems like wireless internet and an alarm system. Aglai and I have been living here for a week, and we really enjoy it! I also love having mom and Anna over for sunbathing and banana bread, and inviting Matthäus for a quick study break and lunch.
Here's the photo tour.

Civil wedding. That "yes" doesn't really count yet, but Nono and Dominic said it anyway at the registry office yesterday morning, and now they are officially Mr. and Mrs. Pott. Scary, but great! Can't wait to see them walking down the aisle (or waiting at the other end, respectively) on July 7th - it's my first gig as maid of honor, and I do think I might have to fight off a few tears.

C'est tout. Any thoughs on the blog issue? Fellow bloggers? Lurkers? Random passers-by? Feel free to gush
.

5 comments:

Amanda Lee Smith said...

That is a KILLER pad! Love the kitchen, the deck, the lounge. just love it!

And just maybe I'll be dropping by to see it next spring! When Dianna goes to Slovakia in March I am thinking of flying into your five city and taking the train to visit my sis. You wanna hang out?!

AvW said...

Dear Magdalena, I am and remain a big fan of your Blog. I cant' see any signs of unhealthy narcissism! It really is a unique way to keep dispersed friends updated and share with them whatever is on your mind or in your daily life, and this sharing certainly would be in Mother Theresa's sens, don't you think so?
Regarding the entertainment value and interest this should not worry you, first of all writers usually recommend to write for you and not for others, readers will choose if they want to read more, and blog/rss-feeds are the ideal media for that, I get a few hundereds new posts a day in my feed and decide which ones I want to reader further...
Yours have been read all so far ;-)
so keep up a pace you feel comfortable with I commit to comment more!

Warm greetings from Cambridge, MA where I arrived 4 days ago...

Anonymous said...

Was fuer ein schoenes Appartment!!!
Da wuerde ich auch gerne wohnen, so zentral und chic. Glueckwunsch Busop

Anonymous said...

Cool apartment! Too nice to be called an atelier, it's really quite nice.

I have never gotten a sense of you as narcissistic. It's true that so much of the modern world pushes one towards self-aggrandizement and obsession but if you are afflicted as such, it doesn't come across in your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Magdalena, you really are an excellent writer. Keep it up!

Ever since we first stumbled onto your entertaining blog, we have dropped by regularly and very much enjoy reading about your latest adventures.

We are related to you with the same family name. I'm of the same generation as your father, although seven years younger. Another odd coincidence is that, like your father, I have a sister named Marie-Therese and a brother named Andreas.

We have a son named Christoph, who is seven years younger than you, and a daughter Paulina another two years younger than that.

If your world travels ever bring you to Canada, please come look us up in Ottawa. We'd really love to meet you.

Cheers from your Canadian relatives,
-Ferdinand-