Monday, September 24, 2007

Goodbyes.

When living a life like mine, which for the most part involved moving countries, houses and schools every few years, you'd think one would get used to goodbyes. The truth is, you never do.

What changes is the fact that you can anticipate how they will feel, the phases you'll be going through, and the (old yet important) truth that time does heal wounds. What also changes is the nature of these goodbyes, the depth of your attachment to a person, an idea or a dream, and consequently the pain of having to let go of them.

I have decided that I won't let the fear of goodbyes influence the way I approach things and - most of all - people, and the degree to which I open up to them. Of course, the more open you are, the more vulnerable you become, but I'd rather pass out what I have to give with both hands and look back onto a life rich with both disappointments and breathtaking surprises. After all, the more painful it is to let go of someone, the greater it was to have had them in your life in the first place. And that I wouldn't want to miss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great lesson for life attidute even for your old andrea

Togenberg said...

I really appreciate the late M. Scott Peck; I was sad he died but appreciated his life. Several of his books played a role in going into therapy and revisiting my faith. I'd seen this post earlier and even quoted him too in a blog entry as you'd done.

I imagine this is what you were alluding to in your comment on my blog: "The pain of confronting an issue that we have ignored and that has grown out of proportion is much greater than the pain of going ahead an finding a solution in the first place. And still, like ostriches, we stick our heads into the sand and pretend that life is only really worth living when it's entirely enjoyable."
I couldn't agree more! I am so often indolent, and so often hiding. Now to continually face the things that frighten me, to fight, to heal.

God grant me the courage to face the things that frighten me so. And grant Magdalena the wisdom and grit to pursue the right path now that the clearer life of school has ended and so many possibilities persent themselves.