Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What counts

My sister returns from India in three weeks, and recently spent a week in Calcutta with the Missionaries of Charity (aka sisters of Mother Teresa). We didn't know whether to laugh or cry when we read her stories, given that the one thing she absolutely despises are worms, and some of her activities included picking them out of searing wounds... I will spare you further descriptions.

Here is a quote from her report:

"The atmosphere at work is hard to describe. Every day it happened that one of the patients I was feeding simply gave me a hug afterwards. Or that another patient didn't want anything else but to have me sit down next to her for a while and hold her hand. Or that someone suddenly put her hands on my head, mumbled a toothless "God blesssss you" and heartily kissed my hand.
You recieve so much from these people, who have nothing to give but their love and gratitude. It's true what Mother Teresa said: We have not come to the poorest of the poor to give, but to recieve. We need them more than they need us. That hits the nail on the head."

No comments: