Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Fright Night

You know it's that time of year when front yards turn into graveyards, skeletons hang upside down from trees, and you spot a plastic rat gnawing away on a bloody hand in the bushes...

Happy Halloween!

Our big campus Halloween party went down on Saturday, and since I was still coughing and sneezing, I lay low and went to bed before midnight. I was told I missed a downright orgy. I tell you I didn't miss a thing... I take a cup of tea and a good book over half-naked sweaty bodies and bad music any day.

Today I could tell it was Halloween because I saw professors wearing 17th century cloaks and students with their faces painted green. But most of all, it was the "Fright Night Dinner" at Trim Dining Hall which rocked the party. Skeletons, cobwebs and jack-o-lanterns everywhere, a corpse-shaped cake for dessert, pirates wiping tables and horror movie soundtracks instead of the usual U2/Dave Mathews/Jack Johnson mix.

Half the school is out clubbing in costumes, but I am a) royally sick of college parties and b) buried in work, so my I ditched plans to go to the witching town of Salem and wrote papers instead.

I have to say, I'm dying to wrap myself up in my bedsheet and go out for some trick-or-treating. But college life doesn't always allow for all that fun.
Instead, I'll go dream of monsters.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So ein Glück, dass wir in Österreich von den USA noch viel dazu lernen können: die hier gängige Halloweenszene kann da eindeutig nicht mithalten! Ausnahmen gibt es jedoch schon, so z.B. in meinem Seelsorgenest Lanzendorf: zumindest ein Einfamilienhaus wetteiferte dort sogar mit der Kappuzinergruft in Rom (ich habe außer unter der Piazza Barbarini noch nie soviele Skelette auf einmal gesehen) - sehr zum Leidwesen der Tochter des Hauses; die muß erst noch von ihrer Mutter von der Wichtigkeit solcher dekorativer Elemente überzeugt werden (offensichtlich erfassen nur die wahren 68iger den tiefen Sinn solcher Feste).Ich hoffe, dass Du nach Deiner Rückkehr unser rückständiges und halloweenhinterwälderisches Österreich ordentlich missionieren wirst!
P.S. Glücklicherweise hat der Rudi mich auf Dein Tagebuch aufmerksam gemacht - ein wahrer Genuß! Habe mich schon länger nicht mehr so amüsiert.. Mit herzlichsten Grüßen, Dein P.F.