Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas down South

A visit to the States wouldn't be complete without a visit to the South. So, I left Yankee Country to celebrate Christmas with the Moran clan in Greensboro, North Carolina. It was a lot of food, a lot of family, a lot of fresh air, and a lot of fun. I think I managed to evade anything deep-fried, but we did have delicious corn bread with our turkey on Christmas Day.


My incredible stroke of good luck was briefly interrupted when I found out that US Airways had somehow managed to move my departure flight to the 25th of December instead of the 24th, but after quite a long while spent on the phone and some persuasion, I managed to fly out at 9pm on Christmas Eve. Despite my worries it actually felt quite good to get dressed up and go to Christmas Vespers on my own, and I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I was sitting in the waiting area at La Guardia airport munching on my Christmas Dinner, which consisted of a slice of half-cold pizza on a paper plate. I got to Greensboro just in time to help Colin and Chris out with some last-minute gift wrapping, and by the time everyone was up on Christmas morning, it felt like I had been there from the start.

Now I am counting down the days to the new year in Manhattan, enjoying museums, brunches at real Viennese cafes, jogs in the Park, and the like. Plans for tomorrow include black tie (not for me), a fancy dress (yes, for me), and some real Manhattan sophistication.
Lets see how I will like it.

No comments: