Thursday, December 07, 2006

Knock on wood!?

In German we have a saying: "It's the stupid who are lucky." If that is true, I must be very, very, very stupid.

Only hours after I received the final OK that my visa had been extended, I got an email that changed my still-sort-of-doubtful living situation in New York completely. For the entire month of January, I will be house-sitting at the Brooklyn Heights apartment of an employee of the Austrian Mission to the UN and taking care of her two cats - entirely for free!
Specifics: A one-bedroom duplex with a small patio (OK, maybe not the coolest thing in January), gym and laundry room in the building. The subway stop is a six minute walk away, and I can be at the office in 30 minutes.
And, best of all, I only have a couple of blocks to walk to see this:

If I were superstitious, I'd run and find some wood to knock on. Instead, while sort of waiting for something to go wrong, I'll just shake my head at a completely undeserved stroke of good fortune.

PS: I just came back from the Babson Midnight Breakfast. It is held from 10pm until midnight right before the finals, professors in aprons serve pancakes and waffles, and there is a raffle for massages and even a full semester tuition. It was packed, and I thought it was a great idea. This is the kind of stuff I will miss when I get home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! I am sooo happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Unglaublich und wir freuen uns riesig für Dich, sieht nach einer wirklich tollen Zeit aus und Du hast es Dir wirklich verdient. Rührend, wie man sich letztendlich doch auf die Verwandten verlassen kann!!! Bussi Mami und Papi

Anonymous said...

¡Qué suerte!¡ No confundas tu propia comida con la de los gatos!¿ Qué será tu trabajo? Besitos OP

Amanda Lee Smith said...

sooo cool! If I had the money I'd be tempted to visit!